At the Okuma and Partners in THINC 2012 Technology Showcase, Steve Kline presented findings from the Gardner Research 2013 Capital Spending Forecast. The full presentation details the types of equipment, workholding, and tooling that metalworking facilities will buy in 2013. The data includes an emphasis on hot industries for 2013. If you were unable to attend our Technology Showcase, you can download the presentation here.
Highlights from the presentation include:
- We are currently in the strongest CNC machine tool market in 15 years
- Current capacity utulization (80.1%) is the highest since 1999, and growth since 2009 is historic
- There will be a greater preference for horizontal machining centers over verticals in 2013
- Skilled labor shortage is causing an increased focus on greater machine/process flexibility
- CNC machine tool consumption is projected to increase 8% from 2012, which is roughly 10% more than the historical average market