These days it seems like there’s an “app” for everything. What if you could create apps that streamline manufacturing processes to the point that they’re less labor-intensive? By utilizing the open architecture platform of Okuma’s THINC®-OSP CNC control you can create almost any app you desire. Many shops are already using our app functionality, and these can be set up based on individual needs. Here are a few examples that demonstrate how apps can bridge your skills gap:
Examples of CNC Control Apps
- Remotely check the status of your CNC machine tool – without needing video surveillance
- Send an email notifying you of an alarm – and showing you a screen shot from the control
- Access your Windows desktop from your CNC control – with a simple touchscreen button
- Open PDFs of part drawings (from your server) – right at the control location
- Create custom commands for your CNC machines that make processes easier for operators
- Set up easy-to-use interfaces for probing and gaging
- Put serial numbers on parts that are automatically connected to processing data, for easy-access traceability
- Scan a barcode with a USB reader to select the associated program and automatically transfer it to the machine’s program storage area, selected and ready to run.
- Instantly display helpful images for the operator that assist with machine setup, visual part inspection, and other functions
- Remind you to perform daily preventive maintenance checks
How to Get Started
Check out some of the apps created by the THINC Developers Group and Okuma engineers and download them here, for free. And feel free to contact us or your local distributor if you’d like help streamlining your labor-intensive processes by using apps.