- Knowledge Center
- Blog Post
- Spindle and Spindle Drive Repair: 10 Steps Okuma Takes to Ensure Quality Repairs
Spindle and Spindle Drive Repair: 10 Steps Okuma Takes to Ensure Quality Repairs
Why should you choose Okuma to perform your spindle or spindle drive repairs? We take great pride in manufacturing quality machine tools that are extremely reliable, and that same work ethic carries over to our Mechanical and Electrical Exchange Divisions. Every day, 20 Okuma team members rebuild quality units for our customers.
OKUMA MECHANICAL EXCHANGE
We exclusively rebuild Okuma brand spindles, cam boxes, and B-axis units and because of this we have the best tools for the job. Instead of checking spindle shafts with micrometers for diameter, we use snap gauges to ensure the best bearing fit. We check spindle shaft concentricity and bearing housing bores. All these checks are done to ensure the longest bearing life and most accurate product possible.
- The part is completely disassembled, inspected, and cleaned.
- Each part is checked and cause of failure is documented.
- Only new, high-quality OEM parts are used for proper shaft fit and clearance.
- Mounted to test stand, dynamically balanced, and run-tested to make certain bearing fittings and spindle lubrication are working properly.
- Expertly packed with proper run-in procedure, installation check list, and final inspection data.
OKUMA BOARD REPAIR
We only repair Okuma drive systems so we have deep experience on knowing what works best. For example, we know older drive units that have been in machines for more than 10 or 15 years contain certain parts that will eventually wear out, so we proactively replace them during the rebuild process. This ensures the parts will last well beyond the warranty period to keep your Okuma machine cutting chips.
- Completely disassembled. Mechanical items are removed, washed, and thoroughly dried.
- New fans and contactors are installed. Unit is repainted.
- Upgrades and enhancements including firmware, power components, discrete components, connectors, and PCBs are installed.
- Skillfully repaired using Okuma test stands, bench testing equipment, and our electronic expertise. We diagnose and fix any issues that upgrades don’t resolve.
- Shrink wrapped for clean and secure shipping.
Whether it’s a spindle drive, power supply, cam box, spindle, or B-axis unit, all parts are run-tested. We use Okuma OSP test stands, run machine tool programs, and test all functionality as if it were running in an Okuma machine tool. All units get a final quality inspection check before being put into inventory and all of our repairs, regardless of the age of the equipment, get a full one-year warranty.
Consider Okuma as your first and only choice when you need a mechanical or electrical exchange and repair. We carry extensive inventory of rebuilt exchange units that are immediately ready to ship.Contact Your Local Okuma Distributor for a Quote
Special thanks to Mike Hampton, Business Development Specialist - Aftermarket Parts, Okuma America Corporation, for providing this article.