1.THE RIGHT CHOICE: WITH 5-AXIS MACHINING COMES CONFIDENCE
First, congratulations on your choice to adopt 5-axis machining. It is proven that shops that capitalize on the abilities of 5-axis machining find a quick elevation of confidence, reputation, and, most importantly, revenue potential. There are immediate ROI factors that are achieved with the adoption of a 5-axis machine tool, including:
• Fewer setups: Streamline the machining process to a single setup on a single machine. This eliminates the need to change tools, adapt programs, or physically move the part – giving a shop more active cutting time. Reducing the number of setups also removes costs from the manufacturing process.
• Higher accuracy: 5-axis machining allows for the ability to machine multiple sides of a part in one workholding to minimize movement between stations and reduce chances for error.
• Reduced footprint: By condensing machining operations into a single machine, the need for multiple machine tools to produce a single part is greatly reduced – freeing up valuable shop floor real estate and decreasing maintenance touchpoints.
• Faster throughput: Eliminate tedious setups, movements between machines, and fixture prepping to create quicker throughput and higher part accuracy.
• Reduced scrap and part rework: By condensing the number of setups within production, 5-axis machines lessen the risk of human and cumulative error and, in turn, reduce potential downtime.
• Repeat and grow business: Consistently please customers with shorter lead times and by meeting tight-tolerance specifications. Gain the potential to expand revenue with an expanded book of business, part quantities, or even manufacturing more lucrative parts for new industries.
The requirements for part accuracy continue to tighten with continuing technological developments and heightened expectations within industry segments. Quite simply, machine shops that cannot produce a consistently accurate part within appropriate lead times risk the potential of losing business to those that can. This means choosing the correct category of a machine, such as a 5-axis machine tool, will provide you with the ultimate advantage – keeping loyal customers returning and new customers coming.
EXPLORE MORE DETAILS AROUND THIS TECHNOLOGY WITH OKUMA’S 5-AXIS GUIDE →